Monday, May 12, 2008

not sure how i feel about this...

but i must confess...

so a long time ago, i built this machine as a gentoo/windows dual boot box. at the time i had gentoo and beryl running on my work d620, and i was very very happy... i'm not anti-windows, mainly because i game. so i made gentoo the primary boot, and off i went.... and i ended up using windows almost every time i booted.

since then i've changed jobs, and installed gentoo on a POS toshiba (redundant redundant) laptop. during a recent emerge -uD world, the truecrypt module started bombing when i try to open my tc files. also, i've been listing to the endless issues my buddy is having w/ his gentoo install/upgrade experiences. the two of us have been using gentoo for a few years now...

so today as i sat down to boot my windows box to browse the web and write some emails, i was like WTF... i've never been happy w/ where this gentoo box is, and i shouldn't be using windows for shit i know is good on linux. so fuckit.

i already had the latest version b/c i'd installed it on a machine at a client site. jdm and i have been debating it for a few days, and i took the plunge and installed ubuntu as my primary desktop OS. i have a weird ass setup atm, so when i tried to do manual partitioning (w/o reading any directions) it (or i) dorked up. so i grabbed a spare big ass hdd and just used the wizard. and you know what? i'm up and running in less time (than gentoo or windows) and having a much easier go at it.

my other buddy sk00t will give me no end of shit for it, i'm now to the point where the easiness of ubuntu and the fact that it just works has outweighed my macho feelings that anyone who doesn't compile their entire computer from scratch has something to prove to the world at large. hell, even some of my non-tech friends will probably chuckle at me, as i'd been advocating gentoo to them as being better than ubuntu.

but the fact is that while there is still a place in my heart for gentoo (much as there is for fbsd), apt-get isn't all that different than portage (or the ports tree). and i installed this thing in a very short amt of time (like an hour) and everything just works.

ubuntu is not superior to gentoo, but seems to be more actively supported. and when it's sunday afternoon and i want to not be using windows, having things work right w/o much pain seems more important than hacking through some issue for a few hours just to make my box act the way i want.

most importantly, i know i'll be using this as my default environment... now i just have to fix my windows partition so i can recover my documents and continue playing games that use punkbuster ;)

2 comments: